Friday, October 26, 2007

My First Day in Hawaii

Oh my goodness, how beautiful this place is! Wish you all could be with me.

I believe I'm now jinxed in terms of travel. Our plane was delayed in Denver, we missed out connecting flight and we arrived with no luggage. Sound similar to the Virginia trip? I feel like it was but we won't dwell on that day and will focus on the days to come.

Since we arrived late at night we were unable to see anything so the first thing we did was tour the grounds and see the glorious ocean. I would love to be able to send you pictures but you will have to wait to see those when I return.

After walking around a bit Lynn and I then went to Spouting Horn which is a hole where water comes through some rock kinda like old faithful in Yellowstone. We were surrounded by the local wildlife which around here are roosters and chickens...they are everywhere. Cracks me up.

We then decided to drive to Waimea Canyon which is similar to the Grand Canyon and just breathtaking. It was well worth the drive. I got a little car sick with all the twists and turns in the road but I think it would have been worse if I had been the passenger. Lynn handled it fine though.

After viewing the canyon we piddled through some small towns, stopped at some little shops, and went to the Kauai Kookie Factory.

We then headed into Lihue to do some more shopping since it was a little cloudy. We found charms for our charm bracelets which is a traveling tradition and picked up a few souvenir items here and there.

Traffic gets pretty heavy at rush hour so we stayed in Lihue and went to a Kilahuna (?)Plantation. We actually crashed the tour group that was there and joined in the fun. Most folks were there for a luau but since we didn't have tickets we took a horse drawn carriage ride around the place and ate a restaurant on the grounds. Lynn and I were both underdressed but what can you do. We laughed a lot about crashing the tour group and went with the flow. I had prime rib and enjoyed every bite.

Lynn is snoring quite loudly so my sleep has been hampered. I'm hoping to catch a nap today at the beach.

Having a great time. Will try and blog more later.

********
P.S. Big hugs and kisses to Keara, Kailei and Zeb. I love and miss you guys.

No comments: