Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Bedtime












As I put the kids to bed tonight I'm reminded of their quirky, yet endearing bedtime and sleeping habits. Keara likes to sleep on top of her bedspread with a small, green blanket covering her. In all honesty, I think it is because she doesn't want to make her bed in the morning but who knows for sure. She likes to pick her clothes out the night before (a good idea to avoid "drama" in the morning) and always asks Zeb or I what the weather is supposed to be. We have to keep up on the latest for she always asks. She always has us read to her and will occasionally read to us but since she has so many books for school she prefers to just listen at night. She will inevitably end up with the cover off her in the morning as she tosses around like a fish out of water. While she often has a difficult getting herself to wind down enough so she falls asleep (like her mother), once there she is out cold (like her father).


Kailei likes to have books read to her as well. Zeb and I often have to divide and conquer during bedtime. If one of us is gone, then group reading tends to be a better idea or bedtime gets to be too late for one of the girls. Of course, getting a toddler ready for bed is a chore in and of itself. They are on their own clock and it certainly is not the clock I'm on. Kailei likes to sleep with the light on, not a nightlight but her bedroom light. How she sleeps like that is beyond me but any efforts to turn the light off lead to hysterics. Kailei also likes to sleep on her back. She is often found lying with her arms behind her head head as if she was gazing at the clouds on a summer day. My bizarre mom thought as I look at her is wondering what she will ever do if/when she gets pregnant and the doctor says you can't sleep on your back. Lord knows why that thought pops into my head but nevertheless it does and I wonder. Because Kailei is always on the go, I enjoy watching her sleep as she looks so peaceful, calm and quiet. She is a light sleeper and we struggle with her getting up in the middle of the night, or her waking up to start her day at 4:00am. She doesn't appear to need as much sleep as her sister and can be heard late at night reading books to herself.
I'm not sure why I write this. I just found it interesting tonight.

Sweet dreams everyone.

No comments: