Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Shanghai Day 1

On our way to Shanghai this morning. Anxious to have an internet connection again.

Shanghai is another neat city. Quite the opposite of Xi'an. If I remember correctly the guide said that it has more high rise building than any other city in the world. I really like the vibe it gives off – kinda like New York only with 31 million people. Shanghai will holding the world expo shortly so like the Olympics there has been quite a bit of preparation taking place (to the tune of 30 billion dollars). New buildings, and new highways are seen everywhere. Lots of lights and billboards flashing.

Upon arrival we headed to the tallest building in Shanghai (Jin Mao Tower) to grab a view of the city. It was foggy and rainy so the view was hindered but I cheated and took pictures of pictures and it looks quite real. The building is a financial center and looks like a bottle opener. We rode the fastest elevator to the 97th floor to grab our first view. Part of the floor is made of glass so looking down can be a little scary. It is made of glass and all I could think was that I would hate to be the window washer for this place.

Today is my friend Michael's 40th birthday so with the help of the Helen, I ordered a cake and one of those special chinese candles.  We celebrated after dinner and shared cake with the whole group.

After another Chinese meal (we tend to have the same things served everywhere we go), we went to see an acrobat show. It was amazing! These folks have more talent in their little pinky than I have in my whole body.

This was the day when I was the most tired so I hit the hay when we got to the hotel. We are staying at a Ramada which is somewhat disappointing but does have the comforts for home so I guess I shouldn't complain.

No comments: