Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Revisiting China

Tomorrow I leave for China.  Hard to believe that once again I will stand in my daughter's homeland.  This time I will be a tourist - simply visiting the rich historical monuments that symbolize China.  The trip will be different this time.  In some respects I am sad that I'm not going there to adopt another child.  The journey to Kailei was a such a special part of my life, and our families.  I know there are still many children there in need of homes.  I wish I could do more but alas feel as if the two beautiful girls we have really do complete the Davison family. 

My memories of China are filled with people.  People that were....everywhere.  People that were poor.  People that were rich.  People that looked at this very white, freckled-face red head from America and treated me with kindness.  People that were proud.  People that were struggling.  People that still cling to history.  People that are trying to change history.  People. 

I hope my students see these people and are as touched by them as I was.  We are all so similar in so many ways.  I hope their hearts and minds are opened as they embrace the similarities and differences we share with each other all over the world. 

It won't be easy to leave home tomorrow.  The girls aren't so happy when I'm away.  And it is challenging for Zeb to be a single parent.  I will miss them dearly but look forward to learning more about China and I truly believe that the students that I lead on this trip will be forever changed.  That will make it worth it I believe.

1 comment:

Sheryl said...

Have a fabulous China Journey, Christine. Appears your flight out of DIA is in the air - you're on your way!

Can't wait to see your first post from China.

Safe travels . . .