Sunday, March 28, 2010

Beijing Day 2: Visiting a World Wonder

Today was an amazing day. You've all seen the pictures of the Great Wall but it is a whole other experience to be walking on it. Admittedly brought tears to my eyes at one point. It was/is just breathtaking.

Helen, our guide, shared a number of stories but I found it interesting that she explained that the Chinese built the wall for peace purposes and not for purposes of war. It was build to protect the people within China and that there was little interest in moving outside to attack others. While the wall is made of dirt and stone, it is clear they want us to know that for every brick within the wall there is a person who died building it.

Other highlights of the day included the Temple of Heaven Park, a photo stop in front of the newly built Olympic birds nest and water cube, a peking duck dinner and my other favorite was a brief but interesting tea ceremony.

Feeling pretty pooped today after Sydney called me at 3am this morning. It was good to hear her voice but funny she called to tell me her daddy was going to paint her room. She rarely calls so interesting that it happened to be when I was here in Beijing.

I found my camera cable so I think I'll be able to post a picture or two if all goes well.

Tomorrow we will travel to Xi'an. There is no internet in the hotel there so will have to see what I can manage to get posted. 



3 comments:

Sheryl said...

Love the pic Christine. I can hardly imagine standing there on the Great Wall - amazing! Can't wait to hear all about your adventures in detail when you get back home!

Sheryl

Jeanne said...

Christine - what a great picture! I'm so glad you're having a good time. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing all about the trip when you return.

Unknown said...

Sorry for the wake up call at 3 am... I am hiding my iphone. :( Glad to hear that you all are having a great time. Nice picture of you! Love ya!