Thursday, April 1, 2010

Shanghai Day 2

Got to sleep in a little today but unfortunately my body clock wouldn't let me. Oh well. Headed out to visit a school this morning. It was a technical school. The students we met were in English class and were eager to speak with us. I got a chance to talk with Sally and she touched me as she said I reminded her of her mother and that she missed her mother very much. Most of these students live here in a dorm and don't get to visit home often. She was very sweet and wanted my phone number to she could call and practice her English. We really didn't get to stay there as long as I would have liked but there was a plan for the day so we had to stay on schedule.

We visited the Jade Buddha Temple where we say a Buddha carved from one of the largest pieces of jade. It took them five years to complete. Unfortunately no pictures could be taken.

Went to a silk factory and learned about the whole process. It was quite fascinating and I think I need some silk bedding now. If fact, I know I do. I could have spent a fortune. Not to worry, I didn't but will ask Santa instead.

At this point I was beyond hungry and we headed to Nanjing Lu to eat and shop. A group of us made a beeline to Mcdonald's which was a heavenly meal I must say. Spent some time shopping and then went to visit the Yu Yuan Garden which as absolutely gorgeous. Give me a book and few hours and I would have been in heaven. The gardens date back to 1537 and are just beyond beautiful.

We drove around the bund but unfortunately didn't get to walk around. I was kinda bummed but what can you do.

We are saying goodby to our guide tomorrow so we showered her with cards and books and a special goodbye. Michael sang a song and we all hugged and cried. I'm such a sap but I have to believe that she changed these students lives in some small way.

We are off to Hong Kong tomorrow so will travel and update as I can.

No comments: