Tuesday, September 4, 2007

To Dance....Or Not


For months now Kailei has been wanting to take a dance class. She loves to dance. She watches dance tapes. She talks about her sister and how she dances. She wears leotards and ballet slippers all the time. She has been asking daily when her class would start.


Well, tonight was her first dance class. She was thrilled....until we got there. My little one got shy apparently. She sat in the corner of class with her head down. She watched the other girls. She was not a behavior problem, unless you count non-compliance as an issue. My heart just sank for her. I'm not sure what was going on in that little head of hers. She sat for about 30 minutes. I finally motioned for her to come to me and she came crying over telling me her shoe was untied. I tied it for her and we re-entered the classroom together. I rolled on the floor with her. I did my best to learn the little dance and slowly Kailei came out of her shell. She laughed a little and danced a little as class came to an end. I asked her what she thought about dance class and she said it was, "Great!". Could have fooled me but I guess the last five minutes made an impression. We will see how next week goes.

1 comment:

The Lawrence's said...

What a precious picture!!! I'm sure Kailei will be leading the class in no time with her own dance interpretations!

Good to hear Keara's doing well at school and will be excited to hear how her Irish dance class goes.

Fun to read your blog . . .

Sheryl