Thursday, July 5, 2012

July 4th

What a day! I'm having to write as I sit on the plane. Today is actually the 5th but I wanted to recap yesterday.

A great breakfast in the hotel and then we were off to CCWA (Children's Center for Welfare and Adoption). This is where all the paperwork and placement of children takes place. It was very special to see all the files of children in the process of being adopted. Process and procedures were discussed but I was most enamored with the huge sign as you walk in: Everything for the Children.

After visiting the offices, we went up to the 17th floor where they had prepared a cultural lesson for the children.
They watched cute but somewhat in your face videos about the China. Then the led the students in some calligraphy, and some paper cutting. They also presented the children with a nice papercut book. At this point it started to go downhill. Keara was not feeling well and I made a error in judgement with Kailei and she got very angry. We had to remove her from the session and she missed a significant portion because she just could not calm down. Keara was getting very clingy because she started feeling worse and worse.

I was happy to leave CCWA and move into lunch with was a ton of food yet again with the specialty provided being peking duck. They had some yummy vegetables so Keara and I were happy. We were there longer than we needed to be and just when I was in the bathroom they served the duck and cake so I missed both. Naturally I was more unhappy missing the cake.

Kailei finally befriended another little girl on the bus named Grace which was nice. They exchanged information including house and roof color.

Next was the big event at the Hall of the People. We all received special invitations and then headed into the building. Unfortunately we were not permitted to bring cameras which was the biggest bummer. It was a beautiful building. All 400 of us were put in place for a group picture. Some of the short children got to be on the carpet and surrounding the dignitaries. All of the MWCC kids got to be down there as well as Grace. Keara was almost dead center and adults were placed on top of the risers. I was a little claustrophobic and had to straddle an a gap in the riser. I was just hoping I would not faint from the heat of the lights. So Minister Li who is charge of International Adoption came and spoke. Keara actually got to shake his hand. There were a ton of cameras and news crews. I loved when the very formal lady told us to "prepare our smiles." As I looked down at my daughter she was sprawled out on the carpet lying down despite the fact I told her how special this event was, she was slowly making her way out in front along with Grace. Then little Matthew had to go to the bathroom in the middle of this event so some stranger had to help him since we parents could not move a muscle. Then Catie started crying during the event because she said her brother was poking her. It was just special as you can imagine. Anyway, the American Embassy also had a representative there who also shared some special words for all of us. Ironic that this multicultural event happened on the fourth of July. The children were all presented with a stuffed panda bear which was a big hit. We will also receive a copy of the group shot. I forgot to mention that Lily Ni from CCAI was also present for this event. Such a classy lady.

I was hoping that was the end of the day but we made another stop at the silk factory where we learned the process of making many beautiful items. I went to a silk factory last time I was in China and regretted not picking up a silk comforter so I didnt pass it up this time. Kailei had money burning in her pocket so she bought a calligraphy stone and brush. Keara was getting worse and worse as we spent time here so we were happy to be heading home after this stop.

Of course, it takes forever to get anywhere in China and somewhere between the silk factory and hotel I got very sick myself. Very nautious and got a migraine. I was so looking forward to having something other than Chinese food that night but both Keara and I went straight to our room. I'm not to sure what happened but I woke up around 10pm still sick.

Zeb made his way out to find some pizza (which we later discovered could have been ordered from room service). He told me by the time he got back Kailei had already fallen asleep. I thought maybe I needed to try and have something in my stomach so I sent Zeb out for a chocolate shake. He came back and I just couldn't stomach how it was made so I sent asked him if he could return and bring me back some a small scoop of ice cream. He is always such a great caretaker when anyone is sick. Dropping into bed himself we slept a few more hours until Keara came in with a horrible fever, chills and feeling just plain miserable. This proceeded to wake up Kailei who was just interested in having dinner at 2:00am in the morning. We were very worried about Keara and spent some time discussing our plan of action since we were supposed to fly out to Xian in the morning. There was no way she was going to make a plane ride feeling like she was. Kailei was wired and yaking up a storm. I actually started to feel better so I wasn't worried about me. Anyway, we fell asleep and just decided to deal with in the morning.

5:30am came early but Zeb and I still needed to pack. Kailei woke up ready to go. Keara woke up slowly. We gave her some Tylenol and she said she was feeling better. She did not remotely like the idea of staying back and insisted she was fine. She looked a little better which I think was a result of the medicine. We decided to chance it.

The Morning After

It is now the next morning. At 6:30 when we went out for breakfast, we were told that the plane had been delayed. Lucky for us we had not checked out so we could spend a little more time in the room. Sucked that we didn't get to sleep a little later.

Ninety minutes later we left for the airport. Our guide Claire gave quite a heartfelt goodbye so next thing I know I was crying. She was so very genuine in all that she said and I won't forget it.

Got to the airport. Keara's medicine has worn off and now she feels horrible again. Tried to convince her to stay but she just got more upset at the thought of it. Gave her another tylenol. She perked up a little so we just hope to stay ahead of her fever with medicine.

Got on the plane and sat. Apparently a lot of traffic. Not sure how the day is going to go. We leave for Chendu tomorrow afternoon. We are supposed to see the terra cota warriors and attend a show I think. I'll update you later.

Not exactly the trip I had pictured in my mind but it sure will be hard to forget.

1 comment:

Mary Durheim said...

73Hope you are doing better but sounds like an exciting time. Try a calcium/magnesium combination also called dolomite for Keilei - works wonders on my ADHD hyper crew to calm them down. Be careful with the melatonin - usually not recommended for kids.
Can't wait to see pictures. Sounds so exciting and fun. Enjoy and feel better soon. Get some sun on those legs:)
Love from Texas