Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Keara

So, we had a parent/teacher conference for Keara this week. Technically she has only been in school for three weeks so there wasn't too much they could say but they confirmed she is off to a good start. Keara is one of five girls in her class. The rest are boys and Keara does not want anything to do with them (I'll be happy if that continues through college). I ask her if she talks or plays with any of the boys and she tells me, "Mom, they are boys." and by the look on her face I know that isn't even an option for her.

Keara is doing well at reading. It is quite a balancing act trying to instill a love of reading, while not drilling and killing them with it. Her school is very literacy focused and if I showed you her literacy binder your jaw would drop. First grade is not what it used to be. We read to her, she reads to us, we ask questions, she asks questions, we spell, we test on spelling....you get the picture.

She has music, art and pe this year which I appreciate. They did not have that in kindergarten. Our biggest challenge at the moment is remembering to wear sneakers on gym day. My girlie girl does not wear them unless she has to. She is quite the fashion plate at the age of six. She is growing like a weed so I feel like I'm buying shoes or clothes every other month.

Each day I ask how school is going and each day she tells me it is "good". Guess we can't ask for more than that at this point. Life is good.

No comments: