Friday, January 15, 2010

Paris - Day 1

Apparently I've watched too many movies. As I walked around Paris I couldn't help but think I was an actress in the DaVinci Code. I probably shouldn't admit that but alas it is true. It has been a long day. Upon arrival in Paris on Friday morning we have been going every since. Met by our tour guides we were taken to the Mercure Hotel in Port de Versailles. It is a nice hotel and pretty close to the metro which is the appropriate method of transportation in Paris.


There were lots of arrivals today so while we were waiting for a few last attendees down the block for something to eat. There are bakeries everywhere (my Dad would be in heaven). I ended up just getting fries and diet coke from little store on the corner.


Our first real adventure was to the Louvre. We took a subway and the train system is easy to navigate. Like all tours there is never enough time so basically we went to see the Mona Lisa and took a few pictures outside the Louvre. It is a magnificent museum and it would be fun to really spend some time in it. I do fear that if I brought Zeb I may never get him out but it might be a chance I have to take.

We hopped on the subway and headed over Notre Dame Cathedral. It was beautiful and my pictures hardly do it justice.


Walking through the Latin Quarter we were then treated to a dinner of beef bourgeois

I was (am fading fast) but look forward to tomorrow.


A few tips...

· Ask, don't assume, the French know English

· Shop owners don't generally welcome you, you initiate the conversation with a bonjour

· Twice a year the government dictates the time when stores have a sale

· Use your manners (merci)

· Pardon means to get out of the way

· 500 sq ft apartments can cost up to 4500000



No comments: