Monday, March 17, 2008

Kailei and Church


Well, I'm not sure three year olds are at their best in a quiet environment. I know Kailei struggles and we certainly do too. And while it isn't always easy to keep her entertained, she often manages to make it through church without too many issues. We bring books and food which is ultimately the best at keeping her quiet. Actually, Kailei associates church with gum. The minute she walks in the door she asks for a piece of gum. I'm guilty of supporting her habit but it does keep her quiet for a short while. This week however, Kailei was not at her best.

Twice, the church was dead silent and twice we hear Kailei loud and clear. Actually - everyone heard Kailei loud and clear.

I was holding her in my arms at some point and decided to put her down as she is getting very heavy these days. "Mom, you hurt my bottom!", she cried loudly. I think my face turned red. Unsure of what I did she continued to cry and state the sentence repeatedly. I prayed.

I then asked Keara to take her to get a drink of water to quiet her down and sure enough she comes running at full speed down the aisle of the church yelling and crying..."Keara wouldn't let me have another drink of water!". I ran down the aisle to meet her, scooping her up in my arms and desperately trying to maintain the peaceful environment one expects in church. Sigh... I prayed some more.

Whew! It is times like these you can't help but laugh and hope those moms and dads with children appreciate it isn't their child this time.

No comments: