Saturday, February 22, 2014

Tribute Competition

Well, my first official duty as a dance mom started today. Kailei had her first competition. We got up at 5 AM and we were on the road by 6.

The name of the competition was called Tribute. That's about all I know about it. There seemed like there were lots of girls there, lots of teams competing.

She started the day off going second with her team doing their tap routine. Wasn't the best I've ever seen. They're just not used to having such a big stage to work so their lines were off but they still looked okay. After they finished and I told Kailei it was time to change she said, "What?! I thought I was just the warm-up."

Mid morning they did lyrical dance. Looked good to me but maybe I'm biased.

The morning was for the small-group competitions and so they presented awards. I don't understand any of the judging. It seems like Starbucks to me where they don't have a small, medium, and large. Same with dance. It didn't seem to have a first, second or third. However both lyrical and tap made the top 10 which I hear is good.

We went out lunch and then came back for Kailei to do her jazz routine. Now this apparently is a large group competition. Again, I thought they looked good but what do I know? That dance made the top 10 as well. I don't really know how they went but I do know that Kailei had a good time so that is what's most important for us.

We didn't get home till 830 at night which made for a very long day. I used to say I didn't want to be a soccer mom because they had to stay on the soccer fields every Saturday morning. However soccer is looking good compared to this long day. I hope the next few competitions don't make you stay quite so long. All in all it was a good experience and I survived it.


No comments: