Friday, December 21, 2012

Cookie Day

Christmas came way too soon this year and with little time for preparations.  Quite honestly, cookie day was in jeopardy but without cookie day, there are no cookies at the Archer's on Christmas day so it had to get done.  Lynn, my partner in crime, agreed to come over today after a long day at work for the both of us.  In hindsight this was not my best idea.  We had lots of baking mishaps.  I started by trying to make a cornflake wreath and following a recipe off the internet.  The amount of butter in the recipe pretty much make it marshmallow soup so I just had to toss it.  I then asked Lynn to make the snickerdoodle cookies and because it was Grandma's recipe and Keara didn't exactly write down all the instructions, Lynn just mixed everything together at once which resulted in a pile of clumpy, unusable dough that had to get thrown out.  Then I wanted to make coconut haystacks and I quick mixed up a batch of chocolate and threw it on the coconut.  It wasn't until the middle of the night when I realized that I forgot to cook the coconut.  Sigh....as Lynn said, "It was a cookie day for the books."  We laughed lots and managed to make a couple of usable treats for Christmas day.  Our helpers were there for the sugar cookies but then bailed on us.  We still look forward to the day when they make all the cookies and we just watch.




No comments: