Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Leah

11 years ago, the girls and I made a trip to Colorado Puppy Rescue. I wanted a dog that doesn’t shed and wasn’t going to bark too much. We ended up leaving with the cutest black and white terrier mix, and of course she shed and barked too much.

Having never had a terrier before I had no idea what I was in for. She had more energy that I could contain. She loved to run and jump. She loved going on walks and chasing squirrels. She loved food, didn’t matter what it was. She loved her humans and we loved her.

I will miss her bounding on the bed first thing in the morning looking for kisses and wanting to know what was on the agenda for that day. I will miss the moments she knew that if I put on my exercise clothes that she was going to get to join me a long walk. I will miss the moments she curled up like a cinnamon roll and fell asleep by my side. I will miss her following me from room to room, never wanting to be far from my side and wagging that tale of hers the moment I made eye contact with her. I will miss her latest passion for jumping on our backyard swing and enjoying a mid-afternoon nap in the sun. She was my dog.

We thought we’d have more time to enjoy her boundless energy, but I guess that was not meant to be.

We are forever grateful for the love she unconditionally shared with us. We are better for having been her humans and she our crazy pup.

Someone said that the hard part is not saying goodbye, but how our world changes without them, and the emptiness left in our hearts.

That said, we will live with the emptiness and remember the moments shared to fill in the hole she has left.

She will be joining Shadow and Taylor, Kindu, Kodo and Maya.  And she will get to chase squirrels and bark to her hearts content.    


 

 

 

 

 

No comments: