Monday, May 9, 2011

My Father-in-Law

Merle Davison is a wonderful father-in-law and grandfather.  I don't think I've told him that. I've told him I love him but haven't told him how much I respect and care about him. Why do we do that?  Wait until something rocks our world before we let the ones we love know how much they mean to us. I'm one of the lucky ones...one of the few who is fortunate to be blessed by such wonderful in-laws as well as wonderful parents.  And the girls simply adore their grandpa.  Their eyes light up each and every time they get to see him.

Merle was diagnosed with leukemia this week.  It has come as quite a shock to all of us. Another reminder that the people we love won't always be here with us. 

We traveled down to Walsh this weekend hoping to spend time with Merle before he starts his chemo treatments.  It was a wonderful weekend.  "The best mother's day" he ever had stated Merle when we left. 

Naturally it was a weekend filled with emotion.  We cried.  We laughed.  We hoped.  We prayed. 

We are all unsure of what the future will bring but it won't be as smooth as we all anticipated.  We will continue to cry, and laugh and hope and pray.  We will fight this monster together but right now I needed to write this down and let my father-in-law know just how much I've been blessed to have him in my life.

No comments: