Thursday, February 5, 2009

Keara's First Confession


Big day for Keara Wednesday night. She made her first confession which is the second sacrament in the Catholic church. She did great! It is a totally nerve racking experience for anyone. The church continues to try and make it as friendly as possible but it is just one of the those sometimes scary things no matter how hard you try to soften it.

She was excited all day, telling everyone what she was doing that evening. They had a mass and then the kids were to go and see a priest. We were the second in line at the confessional and when it came time for Keara to enter, the panic set in. She did not want to go. The line behind us was quite long. I tried to calm her down as best I could but she still didn't want to go. At some point I had to gently push her in the door and hope for the best. She did just fine. I thought she might end up crying but there were no tears. She told me it wasn't that scary after all and was very proud of herself. Naturally her mom and dad were proud too.

We celebrated with Baskin Robbins ice cream at Grammy and Poppy's house afterwards. It was a good night.

She will make her first communion in late April or early May so now we will start preparing for that. I don't think that will be quite as scary and I know Keara is looking forward to wearing the fancy gown.

No comments: